A Power of Attorney (PoA) is a legal document providing a person (also known as the agent) authorization to act on behalf of another person (also known as the principal). A Power of Attorney in Dubai is one of the most commonly used documents. An individual or a business can approach a lawyer for legal drafting of a power of attorney when the individual is unable to make decisions or will not be available at a particular period of time.
Benefits of hiring a lawyer to obtain a Power of Attorney in the UAE
There are various benefits of hiring a lawyer to obtain a Power of Attorney in the UAE, and they are as follows:
- The Power of Attorney may be prepared according to the principal’s specific circumstances
There are various types of power of attorney that a lawyer can draft, including a general power of attorney and a special power of attorney.
- Assist in preparing a power of attorney for the principal’s financial assets
If an individual requires to make financial decisions, but is unable to make them as a result of various reasons such as being mentally incapacitated, then the individual may require a lawyer to draft a Financial Power of Attorney that allows the authorized person to make decisions related to the finances of the individual such as payment of bills, debts, investments, or other finances.
- Assist the principal to obtain a power of attorney for healthcare
Individuals may require a power of attorney specifically made for health care decisions in the UAE. This legal document allows the principal to nominate an authorized agent to make decisions regarding the principal’s health, if he/she is unable to or mentally incapable to make decisions for themselves. It is beneficial to prepare such a legal document to protect the principal’s future interest. A lawyer in Dubai can assist in preparing a specific power of attorney for healthcare reasons.
- Can draft a power of attorney for Wills in UAE
A lawyer can provide a specific Power of Attorney for Wills in the UAE. This legal document can include a detailed explanation of the wishes and desires of the testator drafting the PoA, authorizing an agent to carry out the decisions to be made and execute the Will as prepared after the death of the testator.
- Helps avoid family disputes
Hiring a lawyer to draft a power of attorney can be beneficial as it leaves the family assured of an authorized person that will be taking all the necessary decisions on behalf of the principal. Obtaining a power of attorney can avoid family disputes, by explicitly mentioning the agent under the power of attorney. The document can be made in the name of the person, the principal trusts the most to take accurate decisions when the principal is unavailable
- May protect the assets of an individual
Acquiring a power of attorney can also provide protection to the assets of the principal. This document can authorize an agent to make decisions regarding estate planning and distribution of the assets when the principal is unavailable. This step can ensure that the assets of an individual are protected from being misused in the absence of the principle.
Understanding the differences between General and Special Power of Attorney
General Power of Attorney
- Individuals – A general power of attorney allows a principal to authorize an agent to make decisions on his behalf when he is unable or unavailable to make the necessary decisions.
- Businesses – This power of attorney is provided by the owner of the business to the authorized representative, to manage, supervise and regulate the operations of the company. The document can also specify the circumstances under which the authorized person can make decisions in the absence of the principal
Special Power of Attorney
- Individuals – A special power of attorney is prepared if the principal wishes to authorize an agent to make decisions on his behalf in only certain circumstances.
- Businesses – This power of attorney enables the owner to authorize the agent to make decisions or perform for only specific circumstances such as purchase and sale of a company’s assets.
Lawyers have a set of legal drafting skills that allow them to draft legal documents such as agreements and contracts professionally. HHS Lawyers has a team of qualified lawyers that can provide legal drafting services such as drafting of a Power of Attorney, Memorandum of Association, and Articles of Association, to name a few.